Context: How it works
Reading University Students' Union is a registered charity (Charity No. 1158523). The Union is governed by a Constitution (Memorandum and Articles of Association) and accompanying regulations.
RUSU has identified three facets to our governance structure:
- Strategic Leadership: Provided by the Trustee Board, who oversee the progress and development of the Union.
- Student Representation: RUSU elects 1000+ students each year to represent all student membership and improve student experience, everything from sports clubs to course reps. The full-time officer team also represent students in the university governance system.
- Membership Input & Feedback: RUSU enable students to voice their opinions, ideas and problems through democratic platforms such as Change It, Student Voice and Officer Scrutiny, as well as the Annual Student Meeting.
RUSU & The NUS
The National Union of Students (NUS) is a voluntary membership organisation that represents the interests of more than seven million students.
To promote, defend and extend the rights of students and to develop and champion strong students' unions.
NUS to be a pioneering, innovative and powerful campaigning organisation: the national voice of students. To fight barriers to education, empower students to shape both a quality learning experience and the world around them, supporting influential, democratic and well-resourced students' unions.
The NUS buying consortium enables RUSU to provide cheaper services for UoR students.
RUSU & The University
It is the Student Officers’ responsibility to represent UoR students in all elements of university life and fight for their rights.
- Sitting on many different university committees with members of the senior management team and ensuring that all decisions that are made are made in the students’ best interest.
- These academic committee structures allow for positive dialogue and engagement with the university on student issues, but it does mean that we occasionally work against the University in our endeavour to ensure that students have the best experience possible.
- RUSU & UoR work together on many projects such as Welcome Week, well-being strategies and campaign to make change that improves the Student experience.
- Every year RUSU & UoR holds a variety of events with the university such as topical debates.
Joint Projects (Past, Present & Future)
- JCRs: RUSU is offering increased levels of training and support for JCRs on Halls
- Advice Provision: The University has funded new advisor posts
- Sport: Service level agreement with Sports Park
- Volunteering: Development of the RED scheme and RUSU Volunteering projects such as University of Monsters.
- Nursery: The University wholly funded the million pound plus development of the Little Learners nursery
- Ethical & Environmental Initiatives: RUSU and the university are working to reach a 45% carbon reduction target.
- Support For The Course Rep System: Senior university academic staff are supporting our new initiatives and RUSU has expanded the system to gain more representation and positive change.
- RUSU Excellence Awards: Together with the university RUSU rewards academics who students highlight as providing excellent teaching.
- New Social Space: The university funded RUSU's new extension, Monterey Lounge.
- Night Club Re-development: The university is providing funding for 3sixty to be re-developed in 2017/18