Academic Help For Disabled Students

If you have been assessed as having a disability or think that you may have a disability you may be eligible for special arrangements during exams and other assessed work.

Dyslexia & Dyspraxia
Other disabilities
Medical or personal problems
Last minute problems
Using the library
Retrospective allowance

Dyslexia & Dyspraxia

If you have already been diagnosed, take a copy of your Full Psychologist’s Assessment to the Disability Advisory Service, based in the Carrington Building.

Your assessment will be sent to the University Study Advisors and they will make recommendations. If your assessment is over three years old they may ask to assess you again. If you think you may have Dyslexia or Dyspraxia and have not been assessed or diagnosed you should speak to your Personal Tutor or your School Disability Representative (ask your Personal Tutor who this person is). Alternatively you can make an appointment with a Study Advisor.

« back to top »

Other Disabilities

If you need special arrangements for other disabilities, speak to your PersonalTutor or School Disability Officer. Your School will contact the Examinations Office and liaise with them.

The Examinations Office should contact you approximately a month before your exams to discuss the practical arrangements for your exams. If you have Dyslexia or similar problems, allowance is made for your spelling, punctuation and grammar. Your disability is taken into account when your work is marked. You will not be given preferential treatment but you will not be penalised for the effects of your disability.

« back to top »

Medical or Personal Problems

If you have other medical problems that might make it difficult for you to sit exams in the main exam room speak to your Personal Tutor or contact the Examinations Office.

If you suffer from depression or panic attacks they may be able to help. If you would like to discuss your situation with someone outside the University, speak to one of the Academic Advisers at the Student Union Advice Service. The service is confidential.

Extra arrangements range from having extra time for completing your exam on a computer or having someone to write down your answers.

« back to top »

Last Minute Problems

If you have an accident or a health problem that occurred at the last minute or has gotten worse before or during your exams period, contact your Personal Tutor or the Exams Office as soon as possible. You may need to fill in an Extenuating Circumstances form. Information about procedures and deadlines can be found at under ‘Examination Guidance for Students’ and ‘Procedures and Regulations’.

« back to top »

Using The Library

Students generally spend a lot of time in the library before and during the exam period. If you would like to know more about services for disabled users contact the Library Disability Officer Matthew Holtby at or 0118 378 8782 and check out the Library website.

« back to top »

Retrospective Allowance

In case your disability is diagnosed afer starting your University course, it is possible to ask for it to be taken into account for work that you have already had marked.

As soon as you are diagnosed you will be asked to meet with your School Disability Officer so that you can discuss future arrangements for your exams. At this stage you can also ask about the possibility of retrospective allowance. Please note that to have retrospective allowance your disability has to be newly diagnosed— it needs to be the case that the University could not previously have known about your condition.

« back to top »

Endsleigh Insurance
dominos rusu offer

Reading University Students' Union is a registered charity (No. 1158523)

© Reading University Students' Union All Rights Reserved