If you live in the same house as your landlord, you are an ‘excluded occupier’, more commonly known as a ‘lodger’. If you want to move out of your room you will need to give the landlord notice. This is usually a rental period, depending on if you pay your rent monthly or weekly - If you have a written contract, check the terms to see what your notice period is. It is best to give notice in writing (email is fine) to avoid any confusion.

You will need to make sure that you leave your room clean and tidy, and ensure that you have not caused any damage. Your landlord could make deductions from your deposit otherwise. It would be a good idea to take photos of your room as proof of the condition you leave it in on your last day. Your landlord is not obliged to protect your deposit and therefore you may need to negotiate with them in order to get your full deposit back. If your landlord refuses to return your deposit, or you disagree with the amount deducted, you would be able to take County Court action via the Small Claims Court. There are fees associated with this.

Contact the Advice Service

Services which operate within the Advice Service have separate sessions: see their individual pages for further info on how and when to access them.

Following the current situation with the coronavirus (COVID-19), RUSU staff have been asked to work for remotely for the foreseeable future. This includes the staff within the Advice Service.

As a result, the Advice Service is unable to offer face-to-face appointment or a drop-in service at the current time, but we are still able to offer advice to students.

If you would like some support from the Advice Service then please complete our Talk to us form. Alternatively, you can email the service on advice@rusu.co.uk

Please be assured that an Adviser will get in touch with you as soon as possible, and that we can still offer appointments via other methods (for example, via telephone, Skype or Microsoft Teams).