Rubbish & Recycling

Every year students receive fixed penalty notices from the Council for failing to dispose of their rubbish properly. Landlords can also charge you for removing your unwanted goods, and any rubbish left in or on the property.

  • Check your local council website for refuse collection dates – there may also be extra bin collections arranged in student areas during the moving out period.
  • Find out which items can be recycled and put these in the correct bins.
  • You can arrange bulky waste collections through your local council – these will incur a fee.
  • Smaller kitchen appliances (kettle, toaster etc.) can be collected by the local council – these should be placed in a carrier bag next to your bin outside your property.
  • You can also go to the local Rubbish and Recycling centre if you have a lot of rubbish or recycling that will not fit in your bins – you may need a permit to enter, but you should have been sent one of these when you moved in to the property.
  • Why not donate some of your unwanted goods to charity? British Heart Foundation offer a free collection of donation bags from your property.
  • Donate any leftover unopened food and toiletries to your local foodbank.

Contact the Advice Service

Appointments with the Advice Service by arrangement, or drop in without an appointment.

Services which operate within the Advice Service have separate sessions: see their individual pages for further info on how and when to access them.

Drop-in times for the Advice Service

Term Time
11:00 – 13:30 Monday & Tuesday
14:00 – 16:30 Wednesday
11:00 – 13:30 Thursday & Friday
Vacation Time
11:00 – 13:30 Monday & Thursday
14:00 – 16:30 Wednesday