Finding Accommodation

The information within this page is for information only. The Advice Service cannot comment on, and is unable to make any guarantees regarding, the suitability and quality of any accommodation or accommodation provider listed in this document. This includes accommodation supplied by individual accommodation providers, such as private halls, landlords or letting agents. Inclusion on this list should not be taken as a recommendation by RUSU or the Advice Service. External web links are checked at the point of producing this information sheet, and are provided in good faith: the Advice Service cannot be held responsible for any content of external websites. Please consider your options carefully and only enter into an agreement or sign any contract when you are happy to do so.

If you are already in accommodation and are looking to end an existing tenancy early, please see our Information Sheet “Leaving your accommodation early”, as it is likely that you will have responsibilities as a result of your current agreement.


Accommodation Options

University Accommodation


The University Halls of Residence are on campus. There are separate sections for prospective and returning students, as well as for staff and visitors.

Some things to consider when renting University Accommodation:

  • Students living in University Halls of Residence sign an agreement which gives you rights as an occupier with basic protection.  As an occupier with basic protection you are unlikely to be able to remain in the accommodation longer than your initial term.


  • Some Halls of Residence packages are catered.  With a catered package, you are provided with food in addition to accommodation.  The term of this agreement is usually 31 weeks, rather than for the whole period (either 40 or 51 weeks).


  • Halls of Residence are paid for in termly instalments.


  • Halls of Residence agreements usually last for an academic year: this means that you will sign an agreement to say that you will remain in the accommodation for a set period of time.  It is unlikely that you will be able to leave within this period: if you do, you may still be liable to pay rent.  There is information on the University website which outlines the circumstances where you can leave early, and see also the Information Sheet “Leaving your accommodation early”.


  • There is some accommodation which can accommodate families. However, the amount available is limited and can they can only accommodate a maximum of two children under the age of twelve. Further information can be found on the University website. 


  • There is less availability for returning students.  This means that if you are progressing onto the second, third or subsequent year of your course, you may not be allocated a place in Halls.

<<back to top>>

Private Halls of Residence

There are a number of Halls of Residence within Reading which are operated by private companies (rather than by the University).

Company Name of Halls Location Accreditation Scheme / Redress Scheme
Collegiate Saxon Court Off London Road National Code: Assured Accommodation
CRM Students Queens Court Queens Walk in central Reading, a bus ride away from the main University campus National Code: Assured Accommodation
The Property Redress Scheme
CRM Students Central Studios Greyfriars Street in central Reading, a bus ride away from the main University campus National Code: Assured Accommodation
The Property Redress Scheme
The Bagri Foundation Kings Road Kings Road, approximately half an hour walk from the main University campus  
Unite Students Kendrick Hall and Crown House Both located on London Road, a short walk or bus ride from the main University Campus. National Code: Assured Accommodation
Ziggurat Loddon House Off the Wokingham Road, and quite close to the main University campus National Code: Assured Accommodation

Inclusion on this list should not be taken as a recommendation by RUSU or the Advice Service.

Some things to consider when renting Private Halls of Residence:

  • Private Halls of Residence tenants should be given a Tenancy Agreement which would usually – though not always – be an Assured Shorthold Tenancy.  This means you are unlikely to be able to leave early without having to pay the rent for the duration of your agreement.


  • You may not be able to choose the people you will be living and sharing facilities with.


  • Extra costs: factor in any up-front or additional costs.


  • Some of the private halls in Reading are not close to the University so you will need to consider travel to and from campus.


<<back to top>>

Private Rented Accommodation


Private rented accommodation is available throughout Reading. This involves renting a property either on your own or with other students or individuals, directly from a private Landlord or through a Letting Agency.

This list is not an exhaustive list of Letting Agents in the local area and inclusion on this list should not be taken as a recommendation by RUSU or the Advice Service.

Name Telephone Redress Scheme Accreditation Scheme
Adams Estates 0843 315 1643 The Property Ombudsman The National Approved Letting Scheme (NALS)
Chancellors 0118 950 4111 Ombudsman Services Property Association of Residential Letting Agents (ARLA) Propertymark
Cintra Estates 0118 931 1211 The Property Ombudsman  
Haart 0118 966 8448 The Property Ombudsman Association of Residential Letting Agents (ARLA) Propertymark
Haslams 0118 960 1055 The Property Ombudsman Association of Residential Letting Agents (ARLA) Propertymark
National Association of Estate Agents (NAEA) Propertymark
Martin & Co 0118 931 2179 The Property Ombudsman The National Approved Letting Scheme (NALS)
Martyn Russell 0118 926 6655 The Property Ombudsman  
Nicholas Humphries 0118 907 1536 The Property Ombudsman  
Prospect Estate Agency 0118 955 9711 The Property Ombudsman Association of Residential Letting Agents (ARLA) Propertymark
Guild of Residential Landlords- TBC
Reading Lettings 0118 453 0236 The Property Ombudsman  
Romans 0118 953 8785 The Property Ombudsman Association of Residential Letting Agents (ARLA) Propertymark
SPACE Lettings 0118 966 6660 Property Redress Scheme Residential Landlords Associations
The Flatman Partnership 0118 453 0154 The Property Ombudsman National Association of Estate Agents (NAEA) Propertymark
Walmsley Lettings 0118 947 0511 The Property Ombudsman Association of Residential Letting Agents (ARLA) Propertymark
National Association of Estate Agents (NAEA) Propertymark
Westgate 0118 956 7722 The Property Ombudsman The National Approved Letting Scheme (NALS)

Alternative places to look for Private Rented Accommodation include:

  • Accommodation search websites: or can help with searches across Letting Agents.
  • Please be aware of online fraudulent activity.  Read our tips on how to avoid fraud.
  • Reading Chronicle is a local newspaper which advertises properties for rent.  Free copies are available to view in the Public Library (on Kings Road in Reading Centre), or  online.  
  • Get Reading local news website also advertises properties.
  • Students often advertise spare rooms in private rented houses on the Facebook RUSU Find a Housemate group.  There is also a noticeboard in the Students' Union where students can advertise for housemates. 


Some things to consider when renting private accommodation:

  • The Enterprise & Regulatory Reform Act 2013 requires all Letting Agents to belong to one of the following redress schemes:
    • The Property Ombudsman
    • Ombudsman Services Property
    • The Property Redress Scheme


  • As a general rule, more reputable Letting Agents also belong to accreditation schemes such as:
    • National Approved Lettings Scheme (NALS)
    • RICS


  • The Advertising Standards Authority made it clear that all Letting Agents should clearly advertise compulsory fees from the outset, whilst the Accommodation Agencies Act 1953 forbids Letting Agent’s from charging fees until a property has been identified and accepted by the tenant.


  • It is illegal for fees to be charged for supplying address lists; for fees to be taken for a tenant simply registering his/her name, interest or requirements with an Agent. Persistent, misleading or aggressive practices are considered to be unfair and regulated by the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008.


  • Further guidance on this can be found here


  • You should be provided with a Tenancy Agreement when you enter into an agreement to rent a private property, which outlines your responsibilities, as well as those of your Landlord.  It is important that you carefully read the Tenancy Agreement, and highlight to the Letting Agent or Landlord if there is anything you are unclear on or are concerned about.  See the Advice Service Information Sheet “Housing Contracts” for further information.


  • If you are taking over a tenancy from another student ensure that a new tenancy is drawn up with your name on it or subletting is agreed by the landlord. If you are unsure seek advice from the Advice Service.


  •  You will have to pay a deposit for the property, and this deposit should be protected in a government registered scheme: see our information sheet on “Housing Deposits” for further information.


  • Letting Agents charge fees, which can include Agency Fees, Administration Fees, Reference Fees and Holding Fees.   If you are unclear what you are being charged, or unsure as to whether you should pay a fee, seek advice.


  • It is likely that a Letting Agent will require you to obtain a Guarantor – someone who will sign for you to agree that they will pay the rent on the property if you don’t pay.  This can be an issue if you are an international student, as you may not have a Guarantor within the UK: in these instances, it is likely that you will be asked to pay some rent in advance for the property.  For further information see our “Guarantor Agreements” information sheet.


RUSU Advice Service offers a Tenancy Agreement Checking Service, where an Adviser will look through your Tenancy Agreement and discuss terms or conditions and highlight any unfair terms or responsibilities that you may need to be aware of prior to signing the contract.  You MUST bring your Tenancy Agreement to the session.  

<<back to top>>

Temporary Accommodation


Temporary Accommodation is accommodation you should use on a temporary, short-term basis.   



Homestay accommodation is for students looking to stay with local, host families.

There is no Homestay service operated by the University of Reading or the Students’ Union. If you want to consider this option, you would need to look for an external supplier. A search on the internet can provide details of websites which match host families with people looking for homestay accommodation.

Some things consider when looking at Homestay:

  • The location of the homestay may not be as convenient, as it is likely that they will be offered all over Reading and the surrounding area: therefore, you will need to factor in the cost of travel as well as accommodation.
  • You will be expected to pay rent which will include bills but is unlikely to include use of the telephone.
  • You are likely to be considered as an ‘excluded occupier’ or ‘lodger’ which give you less rights and protection from eviction than in other private renting situations. Further information can be found on the Shelter website.

Host Link UK is one such provider of homestay accommodation in Reading. Please note that their inclusion in this document is not a recommendation by RUSU or The Advice Service, and we cannot be held responsible for the content of any external websites.

RUSU Housing Advice

RUSU Advice Service provide individual specialist housing advice to students in the following areas;

  • Housing Law
  • Rights & Responsibilities of tenants and landlords
  • Checking Housing Contracts
  • Tenant/tenant or tenant/landlord disputes
  • Paying rent and household bills
  • Disrepair and getting repairs done
  • Damp, mould and other environmental health issues
  • Paying deposits and getting your deposit back
  • Eviction process and dealing with illegal eviction
  • County Court Claims


You can drop in without an appointment during the following times;

Term Time:

11.00am – 1.30pm Mon, Tues, Thurs & Fri
2.00pm - 4.30pm Weds


11.00am – 1.30pm Mon & Thurs
2.00pm - 4.30pm Weds

Alternatively, contact us via email at

We are located in the Students’ Union building on Whiteknights Campus.

<<back to top>>

Contact Us

0118 378 4100

Come to RUSU's main reception.
Appointments by arrangement, or drop in without an appointment.

Opening Hours

Term Time
11:00 – 13:30 Monday & Tuesday
14:00 – 16:30 Wednesday
11:00 – 13:30 Thursday & Friday
Vacation Time
11:00 – 13:30 Monday & Thursday
14:00 – 16:30 Wednesday
Drug & Alcohol Support (term time only)
11:00 – 13:30 Thursday
AQS logo

Reading University Students' Union is a registered charity (No. 1158523)

© Reading University Students' Union All Rights Reserved