Moving in 

Moving into private accommodation for the first time can be an exciting but daunting time. Making sure you know your rights and responsibilities helps things to run smoothly. RUSU Advice Service can provide support with housing issues throughout your tenancy.

Here are some useful things to remember:

  • Ask for a signed copy of your Tenancy Agreement and keep it in a safe place. Remember RUSU Advice Service can also check your contract for you before you sign.

 Further guidance on housing contracts, terms and conditions can be found here


  • Find out if you deal directly with the landlord or is the agent is acting as a management agent.
  • Make sure you know how to contact the landlord- try to get an email address.  It may be a good idea to nominate one person to liaise with the landlord. This helps to avoid confusion and oversights.
  • Always follow up telephone calls with an email, so that you have a written copy of your communications.
  • Always get receipts for any money you have paid to the landlord/agent.
  • Complete and sign an inventory with your landlord.
  • Always get receipts for any money you have paid to the landlord/agent.
  • Make sure you are given an Energy Performance Certificate, Gas Safety Certificate and a copy of the government How to Rent booklet.
  • Check how electrical appliances work and keep any instruction manuals in a safe place. It’s a good idea to find out if the landlord will repair and maintain appliances. Get this in writing.
  • Ask your landlord how the heating and hot water works. Find out where the water stopcock is and the switches to turn off the mains gas and electricity supplies. It’s a good idea to keep an emergency supply of candles in case of a power cut! Keep contact numbers of what to do in an emergency clearly visible.
  • Inform the university, your GP practice, friends and family of your new address. You may also need to let other people know- such as HMRC, Bank, DVLA.
  • Finally, don’t be anti-social and disturb your neighbours! It's a good idea to introduce yourself to your new neighbours as, once you have met,  they are more likely to keep an eye on the house out of term time and are less likely to complain about noise.


For further tips on living in a student House, use the links below.

Tenancy Deposits

Completing an inventory

Safety tips for your student house


Does your landlord need a licence


Rubbish and recycling

If you ask for your landlord's address, this must be given within 21 days

Contact the Advice Service

0118 378 4100

Appointments with the Advice Service by arrangement, or drop in without an appointment.

Services which operate within the Advice Service have separate sessions: see their individual pages for further info on how and when to access them.

Opening Hours for the Advice Service

Term Time
11:00 – 13:30 Monday & Tuesday
14:00 – 16:30 Wednesday
11:00 – 13:30 Thursday & Friday
Vacation Time
11:00 – 13:30 Monday & Thursday
14:00 – 16:30 Wednesday
Endsleigh Insurance
dominos rusu offer

Reading University Students' Union is a registered charity (No. 1158523)

© Reading University Students' Union All Rights Reserved