Does your landlord need a license?

If you live in a rented property with:

  • three or more storeys,
  • five or more people living in it, made up of one or more different households;
  • shared kitchen, toilet or bathroom facilities,

then it is a large Houses in Multiple Occupancy (HMO)

Large HMOs must be licensed by the local council.  The license lasts for up to 5 years.

If you live in an HMO your landlord has extra responsibilities, in addition to repairing obligations. These include responsibilities for:

  • Fire and general safety
  • Water supply and drainage
  • Living accommodation
  • Gas and electricity
  • Communal areas
  • Waste disposal

You can check your local council’s online register of licensed HMOs to see if the property has a license:

Further guidance on this can be found on the Citizens Advice website here.

Endsleigh Insurance
dominos rusu offer

Reading University Students' Union is a registered charity (No. 1158523)

© Reading University Students' Union All Rights Reserved