Although your contract should state who is responsible for repairs, the law also implies various duties on the landlord to keep the property safe and in good repair.

The landlord is responsible for the big things- like heating and hot water supply.

  • Structure of the property- windows, doors, drains and gutters.
  • Gas appliances and fixed electrical installations.
  • Sanitary ware- Sinks, basins, baths and toilets.


Remember, you may be charged for unnecessary call-outs and should never carry out repairs yourself.


You are responsible for:           

  • changing light bulbs, testing, and changing the batteries of,  smoke and carbon monoxide alarms
  • Keeping the property ( and garden) clean and in good order

You must inform your landlord straight away in writing if there are any problems with disrepair and allow them reasonable time to remedy the issues. If they refuse to carry out repairs, contact RUSU Advice Service for guidance.

Speak to a Housing Adviser if you are not sure of the situation – or if your landlord is not carrying out repairs

Remember, you don’t have to put up with poor conditions in privately rented housing- you can always speak to the local council’s Environmental Health Officer and request for hazards to be inspected under the Housing Health & Safety Rating System (HHSRS).

You can find further guidance on dealing with disrepair here.


 Find who to contact and what to do in an emergency. Keep emergency numbers in an easily accessible place.




Endsleigh Insurance
dominos rusu offer

Reading University Students' Union is a registered charity (No. 1158523)

© Reading University Students' Union All Rights Reserved