Safety tips for your student house


 Make sure the property is safe as soon as you move in


  • Check the property is fitted with fully working smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors. Since October 2015, it has been a legal requirement for the landlord to provide working smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors for all rooms containing a solid fuel appliance. It is your responsibility to test them regularly and replace batteries during your tenancy. Find out more about Carbon Monoxide in this NHS video.
  • The landlord is required by law to arrange for a Gas Safe registered engineer to carry out a safety check on all gas appliances in the property every year.
  • You should get a copy of the Gas Safety Certificate before you move in, or within 28 days of the safety check. If you do not have this, ask to see it.
  • Your landlord is required by law to ensure that the electrical installations and fixed appliances are safe when you move in. They must be maintained in a safe condition throughout the tenancy. Any appliance provided must be safe and have at least the CE marking. Your landlord will need to regularly carry out basic safety checks to make sure everything is safe and working properly.
  • If you live in a large house in multiple occupation (HMO), landlords have to ensure that a periodic inspection is carried out every five years.
  • If  your house still has a sign advertising its availability ask your landlord/agent to remove it - property signs alert burglars to it being a multi-occupied student property
  • Use window locks and always lock the front and back door when the house is unoccupied
  • Lock the front and back doors overnight and make sure you remove the key so your housemates can get in
  • Agree a place where a spare key is kept and make sure everyone knows where that location is
  • Fit net curtains or blinds to stop anyone looking into your property
  • Don’t have curtains drawn permanently
  • Avoid leaving bikes in the front garden even if they are locked
  • Take all your valuables home with you during the holidays
  • When you buy new valuables (e.g. laptop, TV) don’t advertise them by leaving the packaging outside
  • Make sure all exit doors are kept clear and check smoke detectors are working
  • Arrange contents insurance for your own belongings (you don’t have to insure items already in the house/owned by the landlord.) The landlord is responsible for buildings insurance.
  • Read Fire safety in shared or rented accommodation.
  • Find further tips and guidance on Safety and Security in privately rented accommodation here.


 Are there any fire blankets or fire extinguishers in the property? If not consider buying these



dominos rusu offer
dominos rusu offer

Reading University Students' Union is a registered charity (No. 1158523)

© Reading University Students' Union All Rights Reserved