Money Advice

Our Specialist Money Advisors are trained and experienced in offering free, confidential, independent advice and information on all money related matters including:

  • The funding you could receive whilst studying
  • Helping you to resolve problems you might have with your funding
  • Assisting you to look for other sources of funding
  • Navigating the Welfare Benefit system
  • Helping you understand the Tax and National Insurance system
  • Money management advice
  • Supporting and assisting you through managing debt
Information on student finance

Whether you are a continuing student or about to start your time at university complete our easy to answer survey to find out possible funding sources are available to you.


This factsheet will give guidance to students who are living on a budget.

National Insurance

National Insurance is a system where all employers and workers pay towards specific state benefits. It pays for the NHS, unemployment benefit, sickness and disability allowances and the state pension.

Income Tax

Income tax is exactly what it says on the tin; tax on your income. It is calculated based on the amount of income you have earned.

Council Tax

Council Tax is a local tax on a residential property based on the property's value. The money goes towards local community services such as, Police and Fire Authorities, waste collection, parks and libraries.

Financial Implications of Suspending or Withdrawing

This information leaflet outlines some of the financial implications if you withdraw or suspend from the University of Reading.

Contact the Advice Service

Appointments with the Advice Service by arrangement, or drop in without an appointment.

Services which operate within the Advice Service have separate sessions: see their individual pages for further info on how and when to access them.

Drop-in times for the Advice Service

Term Time
11:00 – 13:30 Monday & Tuesday
14:00 – 16:30 Wednesday
11:00 – 13:30 Thursday & Friday
Vacation Time
11:00 – 13:30 Monday & Thursday
14:00 – 16:30 Wednesday