Funding for Continuing Full-Time Undergraduates

This page is for undergraduates returning to Reading University, if you are new to Reading please see Funding for new Undergraduate Students. This information relates to UK/EU students receiving funding from Student Finance England.

Updated August 2020

When should I reapply for Student Support?

You should reapply as soon as possible. You can go online to Student Finance England (SFE) and re-apply by logging into your account. If you are applying for a means tested loan please ensure that your parents/partner complete the form(s) regarding their income.

SFE will send you a declaration form. It is important to sign and return the declaration form as soon as you receive it.

What funding is available from the Student Loan Company?

Repayable loans for tuition fees and living costs

Further information can be found at Student Finance but we have included the following overview. The funding you receive depends on your personal circumstances;

18-24 year old

Assessed on the income of your parent(s) or officially adoptive parents you normally live with.

If your parents have separated you should be assessed on the parent you live with the majority of the time. If your parent has a new partner their income will be also be considered if they live in your home.

Estranged or Independent Students under 25 Assessed on your own income
25 and over and single Assessed on your own income
Single parent Assessed on your own income
Couple 25 and over, with or without children Assessed on your income and your partners income
Married/Civic partnership under 25 Assessed on your income and your partners income

The following table show how much you could receive according to household income.

Household Income Living away from home Living at home
£25,000 or less £9,203 £7,747
£30,000 £8,544 £7,095
£35,000 £7,884 £6,442
£40,000 £7,225 £5,789
£45,000 £6,565 £5,137
£50,000 £5,905 £4,484
£55,000 £5,246 £3,831
£60,000 £4,492 £3,410

Tuition Fee Loan

The Tuition Fee Loan is paid directly to the University in termly instalments and covers up to the cost of your tuition fees. You can apply for as little or as much loan as you need, up to a maximum of £9,250.

As it is a loan, the amount you borrow for tuition fees is repayable once you start work

Maintenance Loan

The Maintenance Loan is paid to help with your daily living costs – such as rent, food, bills, and other essentials.

It is paid in three termly instalments, which generally coincide with the start of each academic term. Details of these instalments are provided to you by Student Finance by way of an ‘Entitlement Letter’ once they confirm that they have awarded you the Maintenance Loan.

A percentage of the Maintenance Loan is assessed according to household income. Students studying in their final year of study receive slightly less Maintenance Loan than in their previous years of study.

As with the Tuition Fee Loan, you are expected to repay your Maintenance Loan when you have reached the prescribed level of earnings.

Disabled Students Allowance (DSA)

DSA is paid to students with a disability / health conditions to meet additional costs arising as a result of this. DSA is not subject to the household income. Please contact the Disability Advisory Service for more information.

Also please view our information page for disabled students.

Childcare Grant

The Childcare Grant is paid to students who have children and use childcare for at least one child under 15 or under 17 if that child has special educational needs. It does not meet the whole of the childcare costs but, can pay up to 85% of costs (maximum £174.22 a week for one child or £298.69 for two or more children). This is non-repayable.

The Childcare Grant is subject to household income assessment and will include income from a partner, even if the student applying is under the age of 25.

Adult Dependents Grant

This helps with costs if an adult depends on you financially. You can receive up to £3,007 a year depending on your household income. This is non-repayable.

Parents’ Learning Allowance

This is additional support for course related costs if you have dependent children. You can get up to £1,7166 a year, depending on your household income. This is non-repayable.


Cohort Interest Rate How much you earn before repayment % over salary paid back Example
Course started 1st September 2012 onwards Rate of Inflation + 3% £25,725 per annum / £2,143.75 per month / £494.71 per week 9% Receive a monthly salary of £2,500 (before tax). £2,143.75. is your threshold, pay 9% of £356.25 = £32.06 per month
Course started before 1st September 2012 Retail Price Index/Bank Base Rate + 1.5% £18,935 per annum / £1,557.91 per month / £364.13 per week 9% Receive a monthly salary of £1800 (before tax). £1,557.91 is your threshold, pay 9% of £242.09 = £21.79 per month


Reading Bursaries

Available to Students receiving support from Student Finance and have an assessed household income of £27,000 or less. You will receive £1,100, as two £550 cash instalments in October and February.

Care Leavers Bursary

Available to Students who have been in care for at least 3 months since the age of 14 and is aged under 25. You will receive £1100 on each year of study.

Placement Bursary

Available to Students from the UK/EU who have had their income assessed by Student Finance and will be undertaking a placement or study abroad/ERASMUS programme.

Financial Support whilst at University

If you find yourself struggling financially whilst at University please speak to an Adviser at RUSU or go to Carrington Building and speak to the help desk during their drop-in times.

The University has a ‘Student Support Fund’ (formerly known as the Hardship Fund) which can help students in who are experiencing unexpected financial difficulty.

There might also be funding within your school or department so please speak to you supervisor or academic tutor.

Welfare Benefits

Most full-time students are not able to claim welfare benefits. However students with dependent children and students with disabilities may be eligible for some benefits.

Part-time students may also be eligible. Please speak to an Adviser if you think you may be eligible and would like support in applying.

If you would like further advice or to speak with somebody in person then a Students’ Union Adviser may be able to help. The specialist advisers offer a confidential service, independent from the University so they can discuss your case with you in private.

Contact the Advice Service

Services which operate within the Advice Service have separate sessions: see their individual pages for further info on how and when to access them.

Following the current situation with the coronavirus (COVID-19), RUSU staff have been asked to work for remotely for the foreseeable future. This includes the staff within the Advice Service.

As a result, the Advice Service is unable to offer face-to-face appointment or a drop-in service at the current time, but we are still able to offer advice to students.

If you would like some support from the Advice Service then please complete our Talk to us form. Alternatively, you can email the service on

Please be assured that an Adviser will get in touch with you as soon as possible, and that we can still offer appointments via other methods (for example, via telephone, Skype or Microsoft Teams).