Welfare Resources

Mental Health & Support Services

University Counselling and Wellbeing Service

The University has its own Counselling and Wellbeing service which is free of charge to all registered Reading University students. The service, which is independent and confidential, offers a range of support including the ‘Life Tools’ talks programme and one to one appointments with counsellors and mental health advisors.

Call 0118 378 4216 or email counselling@reading.ac.uk.

Student Welfare Team

The Student Welfare team is here to help you with any personal difficulties you may experience during your time at the University. The issues the University of Reading's Student Welfare Team can advise on and how to contact the Team can be found here.


Mind is a national mental health charity which works to create a better life for everyone with experience of mental distress. Call 0845 766 0163.


Samaritans is a free, confidential listening service. Telephone 0118 926 6333 (local call charges apply) or national telephone 116 123 (this number is free to call). Email Samaritans at jo@samaritans.org or visit our branch at 59a Cholmeley Road, Reading, Berkshire, RG1 3NB.


Beat is a UK Eating Disorders Charity. They are a national charity supporting individuals with eating disorders. Their helpline is available 365 days a year from 15:00 – 22:00. Call 0808 801 0811.


IRiS Reading is a drug and alcohol support service. They are a free, confidential drug and alcohol treatment provider. Call 0118 955 7333 or email reading@irispartnership.org.uk for an appointment or a no-pressure chat.


Gamcare is a national support charity for those with problem gambling. Call 0808 8020 133.

The Refuge

Thames Valley Independent Sexual Violence Advisory Service

The Refuge supports anyone who has experienced sexual assault or rape.  It is designed for men and women aged 18 or over and provides confidential, non-judgemental and independent support.

You can find out more on www.refugesexualviolence .org.uk or by contacting them on telephone 0800 221 8186 or email isvathamesvalley@refuge.org.uk

Health & Medical

Bullying & Harassment

University Policy and Guidance on Harassment gives procedures and guidelines on the definition of harassment. It also gives details of the #NeverOK reporting process.

Victims of Crime

  • Thames Valley Police – Reporting a Crime
    If you have been the victim of crime you can report the crime to Thames Valley Police or by calling 999 in an emergency.
  • Victim Support
    Victim Support is a national charity giving free and confidential help to victims of crime, witnesses, their family, friends and anyone else affected. Victim Support are not a government agency or part of the police and you don't have to report a crime to the police to get there help. You can call Victim Support any time after the crime has happened, whether it was yesterday, last week or several years ago. Call the Victim Supportline on 0845 30 30 900 to get help now.
  • Trust House
    Trust House is a Rape Support Centre which provides specialist rape, sexual violence and abuse support services. Telephone the support line on 0118 958 4033 or email office@trusthousereading.org
  • SurvivorsUK
    Support for men; SurvivorsUK provides information and emotional support for adult men (18 and over) who have experienced childhood sexual abuse or adult sexual assault/rape. You can call the SurvivorsUK helpline 0845 122 1201 on Monday and Tuesday, 19:00 – 21:30 and on Thursdays 12:00 – 14:30.
  • National Domestic Violence Helpline
    24 hour free helpline for women experiencing domestic violence. Tel: 0808 2000 247.
  • Thames Valley Police – Hate Crime
    Hate crime is defined as a criminal offence committed against someone linked to their race, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or disability. Thames Valley Police have a section on their website about Hate Crime and how to report it. If you have been a victim of a hate crime or know someone who has, contact them on how to report it and where you can get help and support.

International Students


The UK Council for International Student Affairs supports international students studying in UK institutions, as well as providing advice, training and support to the institutions and students’ unions working with international students.

University International Student Advisory Team

The International Student Advisory Team helps international and EU students through advice, support and guidance. Email int.adv@reading.ac.uk or for immigration and visa queries immigration@reading.ac.uk. Telephone: 0118 378 5555.

Other Support

RUSU Student Representation

For information about representation and liberation, and details of your representatives including Full-Time Officers, Part-Time Officers and Academic Reps.

University of Reading Student Support

For information about Student Support Centres and Co-ordinators, as well as other support services such as Student Financial Support Team, Disability Advisory Service and Student Helpdesk.

National Debt Advice Line

Free confidential helpline for those dealing with debt. Call 0808 808 4000.

Contact the Advice Service

0118 378 4100

Appointments with the Advice Service by arrangement, or drop in without an appointment.

Services which operate within the Advice Service have separate sessions: see their individual pages for further info on how and when to access them.

Opening Hours for the Advice Service

Term Time
11:00 – 13:30 Monday & Tuesday
14:00 – 16:30 Wednesday
11:00 – 13:30 Thursday & Friday
Vacation Time
11:00 – 13:30 Monday & Thursday
14:00 – 16:30 Wednesday
left Domino's all night delivery until 5am
dominos rusu offer

Reading University Students' Union is a registered charity (No. 1158523)

© Reading University Students' Union All Rights Reserved