NUS LGBT+ CONFERENCE DELEGATES
Do you self-define as a LGBT+ student and are you looking for an opportunity to represent other LGBT+ students from the University of Reading on a national level?
Reading University Students’ Union (RUSU) elects a delegation of LGBT+ students to attend the NUS LGBT+ Conference.
NUS LGBT+ Delegates are elected to represent the views of students who self-define within one of the following groups: lesbian, gay, bi, trans* or from any other gender identity or sexual minority group.
RUSU’s delegation consists of the following positions:
- LGBT+ ‘Open Place’ Delegate*1
- LGBT+ ‘Women’s Place’ Delegate
- LGBT+ ‘BME Place’ Delegate
- LGBT+ ‘Disabled Place’ Delegate
- Trans Place Delegate -RUSU will send one delegate to the NUS Trans Conference. The same candidate will be elected to attend the NUS LGBT+ Conference alongside the rest of the RUSU LGBT+ Conference Delegation.
*1A further LGBT+ ‘Open Place’ Delegate position is reserved for the LGBT+ Part-time Officer 2018/19.
Under NUS policy, 50% of the delegation shall be reserved for students who self-define as Women, including (if they wish) those with complex gender identities which include 'woman', and those who experience oppression as women. This is rounded down, for example, a delegation of 5 would need 2 women.
What’s the role?
As a LGBT+ Delegate you will attend and participate in the NUS LGBT+ Annual Conference. You will be elected to represent other LGBT+ students from the University of Reading on a national level.
You can choose to submit motions to NUS LGBT+ Conference. You will have full speaking and voting rights at Conference. You will vote to amend and pass/reject motions submitted to the Conference that will shape the NUS LGBT+ Campaign for 2019/2020. You will also have the power to amend or vote down policy passed at NUS Trans Conference.
You will also vote to elect the incoming NUS LGBT+ Students’ Officer and NUS LGBT+ Committee for 2019/2020.
- Engaging in debate and discussion on key issues facing LGBT+ students
- Representing RUSU and the University of Reading LGBT+ students in a positive way
- Voting on motions relating to key issues facing LGBT+ students
- Electing the NUS LGBT+ Officer, and NUS LGBT+ Committee for 2019/2020
What’s in it for me?
- Amazing opportunity to develop leadership, communication and negotiation skills
- Potential to influence change to benefit trans students in the UK and at Reading
- Training and attendance that can count towards completion of your RED Award
- Great CV builder that will help you stand out from the crowd
- Fun couple of days away with the chance to meet, network and socialise with students from all over the UK!
- Opportunity to become more involved in RUSU and student politics on a national level
- Food, travel and accommodation expenses covered
Am I eligible?
The roles are open those individuals who meet the following eligibility criteria:
- LGBT+ ‘Open Place’ Delegate - Any current student at the University of Reading who self-defines as LGBT+ (lesbian, gay, bi, trans* or from any other gender identity or sexual minority group) is eligible to stand for this role.
- LGBT+ ‘Women’s Place’ Delegate - Any current student of the University of Reading who self-defines as LGBT+ and a woman, including trans* women, is eligible to stand for this role.
- LGBT+ ‘BME Place’ Delegate - Any current student at the University of Reading of African, Arab, Asian, Caribbean heritage and those who self-define as LGBT+ and BME is eligible to stand for this role.
- LGBT+ ‘Disabled Place’ Delegate - Any current student at the University of Reading who self-defines as LGBT+ and disabled is eligible to stand for this role.
- Trans Place Delegate - Any current student at the University of Reading who self-defines as trans*; that is anyone who considers their gender identity to be different from that which they were assigned at birth is eligible to stand for this role.
All candidates standing for these positions will be expected to attend the NUS LGBT+ Conference on 5th – 6th March 2019.
Please note that students on foundation courses or Erasmus places are not eligible to stand in this election.
Nominate yourself TODAY!
Elections for the LGBT+ Conference Delegates open on Monday, 20th October 2018.
Nominations close on Friday, 16th November 2018 at 3pm.
To nominate yourself as a candidate for any of the positions click here, login and follow the instructions
To find out more about any of the NUS LGBT+ Conference Delegate roles contact:
T: 0118 378 4136