NUS TRANS CONFERENCE DELEGATES
Do you self-define as a trans* student? Would you like the opportunity to represent other trans students from the University of Reading on a national level?
Reading University Students’ Union (RUSU) will be sending five delegates to the NUS Trans Conference, taking place on 30th and 31st January 2019.
What's the role?
As a Trans Delegate you will attend and participate in the NUS Trans Conference. You will be elected to represent other Trans students from the University of Reading on a national level.
You can choose to submit motions to NUS Trans Conference. You will have full speaking and voting rights at the Conference. You will vote to amend and pass/reject motions submitted to the Conference that will shape the NUS Trans Campaign for 2019/2020. You will also have the power to amend or vote down policy passed at NUS Trans Conference.
You will also vote to elect the incoming NUS Trans Students’ Officer and NUS Trans Committee for 2019/2020.
- Engaging in debate and discussion on key issues facing Trans students
- Representing the University of Reading, RUSU and Reading Trans students in a positive way
- Voting in motions relating to key issues facing Trans students
- Electing the NUS Trans Officer and Trans Committee and Steering Positions within NUS for 2019/20
What’s in it for me?
- Amazing opportunity to develop leadership, communication and negotiation skills
- Potential to influence change to benefit trans students in the UK and at Reading
- Training and attendance that can count towards completion of your RED Award
- Great CV builder that will help you stand out from the crowd
- Fun few days away with the chance to meet, network and socialise with students from all over the UK!
- Opportunity to become more involved in RUSU and student politics on a national level
- Travel and accommodation expenses covered and you be given a food allowance.
Am I eligible?
The roles are open those individuals who meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Trans ‘Open Place’ Delegate - Any current student at the University of Reading who self-defines as trans*. That is anyone who considers their gender identity to be different from that which they were assigned at birth OR those who's gender identity does not fit comfortably with 'man' or 'woman'. Trans people experiencing transmisogyny are also eligible to stand.
- Trans ‘People Experiencing Transmisogyny Place’ Delegate - Any current student of the University of Reading who self-defines as trans and are experiencing transmisogyny.
- Trans ‘Non-Binary Place’ Delegate - Any current student at the University of Reading who self-defines as Trans* Non-Binary, that is someone who’s gender identity does not fit comfortably with ‘man’ or ‘woman’. People who self-define as Non-Binary who are experiencing transmisogyny are eligible to stand for this role.
- Trans ‘BME Place’ Delegate - Any current student at the University of Reading of African, Arab, Asian, Caribbean heritage who self-define as BME AND Trans, Non-Binary OR experiencing transmisogyny are eligible to stand for this role
- Trans ‘Disabled Place’ Delegate - Any current student at the University of Reading who self-define as Disabled AND Trans, Non-Binary OR experiencing transmisogyny are eligible to stand for this role.
All candidates should be able to attend the NUS Trans Conference on 30-31 January 2019
Please note that students on foundation courses or Erasmus places are not eligible to stand in this election.
Nominate yourself TODAY!
Elections for the role for Trans Conference Delegates open on Monday 29th October 2018.
Nominations close on Friday, 16th November 2018 at 3pm.
To nominate yourself as a candidate in these elections click here, login and follow the instructions
To find out more about the role of NUS Trans Conference Delegates contact:
T: 0118 378 4136