Disabled Students' Officer
What’s the role?
The Disabled Students’ Part-Time Officer works to defend and extend the rights of disabled students within the Union and the University. They campaign for the equality of all disabled students.
Once elected the Disabled Students’ Officer will:
- Plan and run campaigns, awareness raising events and activities for the benefit of disabled students
- Ensure Union events are inclusive for all self-defining disabled students
- Encourage the participation of disabled students in the Students' Union, its democratic and representative functions, and in the promotion of disability issues
- Advocate on behalf of disabled students within the Union and across the University
- Drive forward positive change for disabled students
- Attend the NUS Annual Disabled Students' Conference in 2019.
What’s in it for me?
- Excellent work experience
- Great transferable skills
- A chance to network and build relationships with key members of Union and University staff as well as external organisations
- A chance to create positive change for disabled students
- The opportunity to take part in the University of Reading’s RED Award
Am I eligible?
To be eligible for this role you will need to self-define as a disabled person. We feel it is important that disability issues, and the students affected by them, are represented by students who have had first-hand experience of the oppression faced by those they represent. This is why we ask you to self-define.
RUSU defines a disabled student as anyone who self-defines as disabled, whether they are physically disabled or have a hidden disability, such as mental health issues.
You will also need to be enrolled on a course for the 2018/19 academic year to be eligible to stand in this election.
You can only nominate yourself for one Part-Time Officer role. If you nominate yourself for this role then you cannot nominate yourself for any other Part-Time Officer role in this election. However, you can still nominate yourself for an Undergraduate School Rep or Student Trustee role.
If you’d like to find out more about the role of Disabled Students' Officer, please contact: