Undergraduate Mature Students' Officer
What’s the role?
The Undergraduate Mature Students’ Part-Time Officer works to represent the views and interests of undergraduate mature students within the Union. They act as a key point of contact for undergraduate mature students within the Union and provide information or signpost where necessary.
Once elected the Undergraduate Mature Students’ Officer will:
- Plan and run campaigns, awareness raising events and activities for the benefit of undergraduate mature students
- Ensure Union events are inclusive for all self-defining undergraduate mature members
- Encourage the participation of undergraduate mature students in the Students' Union, its democratic and representative functions, and in the promotion of undergraduate mature student issues
- Advocate on behalf of undergraduate mature students within the Union and across the University
- Drive forward positive change for undergraduate mature students
- Attend the NUS Annual Mature & Part-time Students' Conference in 2019.
What’s in it for me?
- Great transferable skills
- A chance to network and build relationships with key members of Union and University staff as well as external organisations
- A chance to create positive change for undergraduate mature students
- The opportunity to take part in the University of Reading’s RED Award
Am I eligible?
To be eligible for this role you will need to be an undergraduate student and self-define as a mature student. We feel it is important that undergraduate mature student issues, and the students affected by them, are represented by students who have first-hand experience of the difficulty faced by those they represent. This is why we ask you to self-define.
RUSU defines a undergraduate mature student as an undergraduate student who started their course aged 21 and over. RUSU also considers undergraduate students who have been financially independent for three years prior to the start of their undergraduate course; undergraduate students with caring responsibilities and those that are care leavers as undergraduate mature students.
You will also need to be enrolled on a course for the 2018/19 academic year to be eligible to stand in this election.
You can only nominate yourself for one Part-Time Officer role. If you nominate yourself for this role then you cannot nominate yourself for any other Part-Time Officer role in this election. However, you can still nominate yourself for an Undergraduate School Rep or Student Trustee role.
If you’d like to find out more about the role of Undergraduate Mature Students' Officer, please contact: