Your quick reference guide to housing information

This information covers who to contact for University of Reading Halls of Residence (UPP) and lists further options for private accommodation.

I haven’t got a place in University halls, what should I do?

Firstly, confirm with the University Accommodation Team that you are on the waiting list for University halls. You can contact the Accommodation Team by telephone on 0118 378 4203 or by email at Don’t panic, a place may become available after the term has started. You might want to consider looking in to private halls of residence or privately rented accommodation. For more information about searching for accommodation see our RUSU Advice Service Finding Accommodation page.

I've got a place at University of Reading but I haven’t confirmed any accommodation / I’m waiting to find out if I have a place in University Halls

Please contact the University of Reading Accommodation Team via telephone: +44 (0)118 378 4203 or email: - You can also access information online here.

I have a health condition/welfare issue that I think needs to be taken in to consideration for my University halls application.

We appreciate that it may be difficult to disclose personal information, but unless the University Accommodation Team are aware of any health of welfare issues, they will not be able to take them in to consideration. You may wish to speak to the University Counselling and Wellbeing Service or the University Disability Advisory Service, who may be able to support your application for University halls. Counselling and Wellbeing Service – Tel: 0118 378 4216, email: Disability Advisory Service – Tel: 0118 378 6602, email:

I’m looking for accommodation in Private Halls of residence

There are a number of Halls of Residence within Reading which are operated by private companies (rather than by the University). 

Collegiate – Saxon Court Apartments, off London Road a short walk or bus ride from the main University Campus. Information can be found on the Collegiate website.

Unite – Kendrick Hall and Crown House, both of which are located on London Road, which is a short walk or bus ride from the main University Campus.  Information can be found on the Unite website

Fawley Bridge – Fawley Bridge operate Loddon House which is on the corner of Wokingham Road and Green Road and can be found on the Fawley Bridge website

Bagri Foundation operate Kings Road Student Accommodation, which is approximately half an hour walk from Whiteknights Campus. Information can be found on the 101 Kings Road website

Fresh Student Living – One property on Friar Street in the Centre of Reading, a bus ride away from the main University Campus.  Information can be found on the Fresh Student Living website

Inclusion on this list should not be taken as a recommendation by RUSU or the Advice Service.

Some things to consider when renting Private Halls of Residence:

Private Halls of Residence tenants should be given a Tenancy Agreement which would usually, though not always, be an Assured Shorthold Tenancy. This means you are unlikely to be able to leave early without having to pay the rent for the duration of your agreement.

You may not be able to choose the people you will be living and sharing facilities with.

Extra costs: factor in any up-front or additional costs.

Some of the private halls in Reading are not close to the University so you will need to consider travel to and from campus. 

I'm looking for other students to share a house with

There is a Find a Housemate noticeboard in the Advice and Representation centre in the RUSU building on Whiteknights campus and you can join our Find A Housemate Group on Facebook. For tips about choosing housemates and setting up housemate agreements, check out our Choosing Housemates leaflet.

I’m looking for Private Rented Accommodation

Private rented accommodation is available throughout Reading.  This involves renting a property either on your own or with other students or individuals, directly from a private Landlord or through a Letting Agency.

This list is not an exhaustive list of Letting Agents in the local area and inclusion on this list should not be taken as a recommendation by RUSU or the Advice Service. 



Telephone Number

Redress scheme / Accreditation scheme 

Walmsley Lettings Ltd

0118 378 4060

The Property Ombudsman/ National Approved Lettings Scheme, Association of Residential Lettings Agents (ARLA), National Association of Enrolled Agents (NAEA) and The Tenancy Deposit Scheme (TDS)

Adams Estates

0118 935 1616

The Property Ombudsman / The National Approved Letting Scheme (NALS)


0800 612 1515

Ombudsman Services /Association of Residential Managing Agents (ARMA)

Cintra Estates

01189 311 211

The Property Ombudsman


The Flatman Partnership

0118 966 0055

The Property Ombudsman/ ARLA

Martin & Co

01189 312 179

The Property Ombudsman /Association of Residential Letting Agents (ARLA)/ National Approved Lettings Scheme

Reading Lettings

0118 9 666 666

Property Redress Scheme




0118 966 6660

The Property Redress Scheme


0118 9668001

The Property Ombudsman / The National Approved Letting Scheme (NALS)



0118 966 8448

The Property Ombudsman/ National Approved Lettings Scheme

What is a housing contract?

A housing contract is a contract between you and your landlord, which sets out the terms and conditions of your tenancy. It also sets out the rights and responsibilities you have as a tenant and that the landlord has. You may also hear a housing contract being referred to as a tenancy agreement, a licence agreement, or an assured shorthold tenancy. Do not sign more than one housing contract or tenancy agreement. They are legally binding documents and it can be difficult to end your tenancy early. You do not want to be in the position where you are liable to pay two lots of rent.

Before I sign my housing contract, should I have it checked?

Never sign a housing contract (tenancy agreement) without reading it carefully and checking the terms and conditions. The RUSU Advice Service has information to help you understand the terms of your tenancy including a contract checklist and list of unfair terms. The RUSU Advice Service also offers a housing contract checking service. If you would like you contract checked by a RUSU Adviser, please contact the RUSU Advice Service on 0118 378 4100 or email: to arrange an appointment.

Implications to your Student Finance funding of withdrawing from your course or deferring entry

If you have been unable to secure accommodation you may be thinking about whether to continue at University. Your decision can have a large impact on your student funding. Within the Student Finance system, students are entitled to funding for the duration of their course plus one additional year of study.
If you enrol onto the first year of a course but decide that you no longer want to do it (e.g. if you withdraw from your course, or you decide to defer to a following academic year), then you will have used up one year of your entitlement to funding irrespective of whether or not the University charge you tuition fees or not. This may impact your entitlement to funding for future years of study.

Your situation will be complicated if you have studied at higher education before. Therefore, we urge students to seek advice and ensure that they are fully informed before they make decisions regarding enrolment, withdrawing and deferring, especially if they are concerned that they may not be able to remain in Reading if they have no accommodation confirmed.

We understand that the student finance system is complicated. If you want to speak to a member of the Advice Service to clarify the situation and how it applies to please contact us in one of the following ways:
• By emailing
• By attending a drop-in with one of our Advisers. These run Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday between 11am to 1:30pm, and Wednesday 2pm to 4:30pm.

I'm not sure if an online advert I have seen is fake or may be a scam

There are fraudsters who post fake properties online. The RUSU Advice Service has compiled some tips on how to avoid being caught out by fraud which you can find on our Avoiding Fraud page

Can RUSU recommend a lettings agent?

There is a list of lettings agents within the tab above “I’m Looking for Private Rented Accommodation”. However, RUSU cannot recommend a particular lettings agent and inclusion on this list should not be taken as a recommendation by RUSU.

Can RUSU help me find a house?

The RUSU Advice Service is unable to help you find accommodation as it is not a lettings agent, however, the RUSU housing pages provide information and advice in relation to types of accommodation for you to consider. The RUSU Advice Service can provide information and advice to students living within University halls, private halls and private rented accommodation. This advice includes:

Housing Law; Rights & Responsibilities of tenants and landlords; Checking Housing Contracts; Tenant/tenant or tenant/landlord disputes; Paying rent and household bills; Disrepair and getting repairs done; Damp, mould and other environmental health issues; Paying deposits and getting your deposit back; Eviction process and dealing with illegal eviction; County Court Claims.



Reading University Students' Union is a registered charity (No. 1158523)

© Reading University Students' Union All Rights Reserved