BME Officer – Somisola Soyombo
What’s your favourite film?
Coming to America
What’s your biggest achievement?
Perfecting my jollof rice recipe
What’s a fun fact that people may not know about you?
I like collecting memes
New for 2018-19 RUSU have created student-run, peer-support networks for you. This is your opportunity to meet other students from similar backgrounds, share common experiences and receive advice and support from each other. RUSU’s BME Students’ Officer will be running a peer-support network for BME students. You can find out when and where the next meeting is here.
I am a first-year student in Reading. Already I’ve noticed murmurs of dissatisfaction amongst BME students feeling underrepresented, isolated and segregated.
Communication – Get your voice heard
- Focus on ensuring all BME students have a point of contact to voice concerns either directly or through societies.
- Work closely with the diversity officer and creating a network with societies for active involvement.
- To make sure all BME students are informed about programs/events using social media and other platforms.
Solutions – Actively deal with problems
- Work with students to find solutions to problems.
- Work with RUSU and the Diversity Officer to implement these solutions.
- Offer alternatives in the local community when issues can’t be resolved within the university.
Unity – No student left behind
- Work with societies and the local community to ensure no student feels isolated and are able to find a community they can identify with.
- Work to create cohesion between different groups to ensure no student feels antagonised.
- Work to promote a culture of diversity throughout the campus and at events.
Some of the important changes will I make
- BME networking events, career talks and music events.
- Introduce more international food to the RUSU building and campus restaurants.
- Work with local schools to create a mentoring programme to help and inspire younger BME students in the local area.
- Hold a Reading BME business fair so students know where they can find essentials.