BME Officer – Somisola Soyombo
I am a first-year student in Reading. Already I’ve noticed murmurs of dissatisfaction amongst BME students feeling underrepresented, isolated and segregated.
Communication – Get your voice heard
- Focus on ensuring all BME students have a point of contact to voice concerns either directly or through societies.
- Work closely with the diversity officer and creating a network with societies for active involvement.
- To make sure all BME students are informed about programs/events using social media and other platforms.
Solutions – Actively deal with problems
- Work with students to find solutions to problems.
- Work with RUSU and the Diversity Officer to implement these solutions.
- Offer alternatives in the local community when issues can’t be resolved within the university.
Unity – No student left behind
- Work with societies and the local community to ensure no student feels isolated and are able to find a community they can identify with.
- Work to create cohesion between different groups to ensure no student feels antagonised.
- Work to promote a culture of diversity throughout the campus and at events.
Some of the important changes will I make
- BME networking events, career talks and music events.
- Introduce more international food to the RUSU building and campus restaurants.
- Work with local schools to create a mentoring programme to help and inspire younger BME students in the local area.
- Hold a Reading BME business fair so students know where they can find essentials.