Hi, my name is Rachel Osborne and I am RUSU President for 2020/21. I
was motivated to run for this role as I started the Zero Waste Society
in my final year so became increasingly interested in environmental
issues as well as becoming more involved with RUSU as a whole and the
work the student's union does.
My role as President involves anything related to democracy,
sustainability or communications. Currently, I sit on many groups and
committees relating to COVID and handling the pandemic crisis, which
can take up to 10 hours a week. On top of all the meetings I attend on
I also handle the RUSU podcast and my other manifesto commitments such
as showcasing environmental opportunities and creating fun events for
The President is responsible for ensuring all decisions reached or
made by RUSU have gone through the democratic process as laid out in
Constitution and Bye-Laws. This officer is also responsible for
leading on external affairs, liaising with the National Union of
Students and will lead on RUSUs democratic processes and Student Fora.
Check out my manifesto
My remit includes:
- Co-chairing the RUSU Board of Trustees.
Liaising with members of Students’ union staff through the line
management of the Chief Executive.
Maintaining a working relationship with the University of Reading’s
Vice Chancellor and the University Executive Board.
Leading on democratic processes such as elections, student officer
scrutiny, referenda, ‘Change It!’ and ‘Student Voice’.
Leading on campaigns that fall outside the remit of other Officers.
Leading on development of RUSU’s Commercial Services through
actively canvassing student feedback.
Leading development of the RUSU brand, marketing and communications
Working with the Environment and Ethics Officer and lead on
- Representing students and issues from London Road campus.
Some of the committees and groups I sit on include:
- RUSU Environment committee.
- Estates and Environment.
- Planning and Change Board.
- MIT - Major Incident Team.
- MRT- Major Recovery Team.
- Finance committee.
- RUSU Elections Committee.
- RUSU Ideas Feasibility group.
- RUSU Student Voice.
- RUSU Trustee Board.
- Student Experience Committee.
- Fees Sub Group.
- Halls Accommodation Committee.
- RASG- Recruitment and Admissions steering group.
- SSCER- Senate Standing Committee of Exam Results.
- SAC- Student Appeals Committee.
- Welcome week task force.
- and a variety of different task forces and working groups.