Model United Nations
Welcome to the Reading University Model United Nations Society!
- RUSU Society of the Year 2010/2011 and 2013/2014
- Winner of 'Best Society Event' for the ReadiMUN 2014 conference
- 1st place in the 2014/2015 'Rewards and Recognition' scheme
Model United Nations (MUN) is an international phenomenon which sees students from all levels of education simulate the workings of UN and other international bodies including the UN Human Rights Council, UN Security Council, NATO, World Health Organisation, and the Arab League. During simulations delegates will assume the stance of a particular nation from which they will attempt to negotiate a resolution which is advantageous to their respective nation.
At Reading University Model United Nations society (RUMUN), we pride ourselves on being a multi-award-winning society, outward-facing society which regularly sends delgates to conferences both nationally and internationally including:
- NottsMUN, University of Nottingham, 2010-14
- OxIMUN, University of Oxford, 2011-14
- WarMUN, University of Warwick, 2012-14
- BathMUN, University of Bath, 2012-15
- UCLMUN, University College London, 2013-14
- BrisMUN, University of Bristol, 2014-15
- KULMUN, Leuven, Belgium, 2013, 2014, 2015
- RiMUN, Reims, France, 2014
- WorldMUN, Brussels, Belgium, 2014
- MUIMUN, Münster, Germany, 2014
- PragueMUN, Prague, Czech Republic, 2015
RUMUN is rapidly developing a reputation as one of the best MUN societies in Britain and this year we hope to expand the society's international reputation by sending delegations to an increasingly wide number of MUN conferences including the inaugaral Tübingen International Crisis Simulation (Germany). In addition to this, the society itself has also hosted four hugely successful conferences at the University of Reading which have drawn students from across the world. This year’s conference will be 25th-27th of November 2016. More information is available on our conference website at http://www.readimun.org/.
RUMUN has also had an impact outside of the MUN world and has been instrumental in the creation of the Part 2 Politics & International Relations 'Model UN' Module, which facilitates the attendance of an eighteen-strong delegation to KULMUN (Leuven, Belgium) for free. Although the module is offered by the Politics and International Relations department, the module is open to students from all disciplines.
In-keeping with our outward-looking nature, RUMUN welcomess students from all departments and aims to promote an interest in topics that the UN champions such as international law, peace and security, human rights, environmental protection, and so on.
The nature of MUN also means that our members quickly gain important research skills as well as experience with negotiating, conflict-resolution, and document writing. Furthermore, the fact that MUN is an international phenomenon means that your MUN career is also likely to take you across the country and beyond!
RUMUN is always open to new members, just come along to any of our weekly sessions (Wednesdays at 7pm in HumSS 126) during the Autumn and Spring Terms. You can keep up-to-date with our upcoming activities by joining our Facebook Group and following us on Twitter. Alternatively, you can contact the committee directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Awards and Accolades:
- RUSU Gold Standard Society 2011/2012
- 5 Star Society 2012/2013, 2013/2014 and 2014/2015
- 3rd place in the 'Rewards and Recognition' scheme 2013/2014
- 'Best Society Event' 2014/2015 for the ReadiMUN14 conference
- 1st place in the 'Rewards and Recognition' scheme 2014/2015
National Conference Awards gained
||6 awards and ‘Best Delegation’
||4 awards and ‘Best Delegation’
||9 awards and ‘Best Delegation’
||4 awards and 'Best Large Delegation'
NMUN-NY 2011 ‘Delegation Honourable Mention’International Conferences Awards gained
||5 awards and joint ‘Best Delegation’
Totalling 126 individual awards, as well as 8 awards for the whole delegation.
No elections are currently running