Who are we?
We are Reading University's award-winning society dedicated to both improving and giving confidence to students in public speaking
The Society is dedicated to free speech and the expression of ideas. We are continually amazed by the different views that people hold and support, and having the opportunity to hear them in a constructive arena really is an excellent opportunity.
Once you join the society, you will be able to enjoy our numerous activities and weekly debates! (you can read more about the activities we hold below).
If you have any questions about the society, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
, or Facebook
Your Committee for 2018/2019
Your committee for the 2018-2019 academic year are:
President: Alistair Lamont
Secretary: Adam Bradbury
Treasurer: James Webb
Welfare Representative: Daniel Masters
You can join the society at any point during the year and we always welcome new members!
10 reasons to debate:
1. We encourage public speaking skills and boost confidence!
2. We meet up every week, anyone can suggest any motion (topic) to debate on and voice their opinion!
3. We participate and fund our members' participation in prestigious competitions across the UK
4. We invite guest-speakers and debating champions to give us workshops
5. Debate Society will also help you broaden your outlook and develop your knowledge of global issues!
6. We make sure that debating is FUN by holding regular fantastic socials!
7. If you enjoy things like conferences and public events - we also take part in many!
8. Debating is a perfect setting to socialise, network and meet new people!
9. We do fantastic themed debates with super-fun motions, provide drinks and snacks.
10. If these arguments are not convincing enough for you, Debating will simply look great on your CV!!!
Every Thursday evening at 7 pm, Palmer Building - PM105