We are Reading University's award-winning society dedicated to both improving and giving confidence to students in public speaking.
The Society is dedicated to free speech and the expression of ideas. We are continually amazed by the different views that people hold and support, and having the opportunity to hear them in a constructive arena really is an excellent opportunity.
Once you join the society, you will be able to enjoy our numerous activities and weekly debates! (you can read more about the activities we hold below).
You can join the society at any point during the year and we always welcome new members!
If you have any questions about the society, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your Committee for 2019/2020
President: Adam Bradbury
Secretary: James Webb
Treasurer: David Bell
Welfare: Mia Pierson
Socials & Media Secretary: Jack Horniman
10 reasons to debate:
1. We encourage public speaking skills and boost confidence!
2. We meet up every week, anyone can suggest any motion (topic) to debate on and voice their opinion!
3. We participate and fund our members' participation in competitions across the UK
4. We invite guest-speakers and debating champions to give us workshops
5. The Debate Society will also help you broaden your outlook and develop your knowledge of global issues
6. We make sure that debating is FUN by holding regular fantastic socials!
7. We try to get involved in conferences and public events for those who wish to attend
8. Debating is a perfect setting to socialise, network and meet new people!
9. We do fantastic themed debates with interesting motions, and often provide drinks and snacks
10. If these arguments are not convincing enough for you, Debating will simply look great on your CV!
Every Thursday evening at 7 pm, Edith Morley, Room 125