Welcome to the Reading University Model United Nations Society!
- RUSU Society of the Year 2010/2011, 2013/2014 and 2016/17.
- Winner of 'Best Society Event' for the ReadiMUN 2014 conference and nominated for ReadiMUN 2017.
- 1st place in the 2014/2015 'Rewards and Recognition' scheme
Model United Nations (MUN) is an international phenomenon which sees students from all levels of education simulate the workings of UN and other international bodies including the UN Human Rights Council, UN Security Council, NATO, World Health Organisation, and the Arab League. During simulations delegates will assume the stance of a particular nation from which they will attempt to negotiate a resolution which is advantageous to their respective nation.
At Reading University Model United Nations society (RUMUN), we pride ourselves on being a multi-award-winning society, outward-facing society which regularly sends delgates to conferences both nationally and internationally which for this academic year includes:
- ExMUN, University of Exeter, 11th-12th October 2019
- ManMUN, University of Manchester, 18th-20th October 2019
- OxIMUN, University of Oxford, 25th-27th October 2019
- CuiMUN, University of Cambridge, 8th-10th November 2019
- Peace Conference, London, Affiliated with the UN, 15th-17th November 2019
- WarMUN, University of Warwick, 22nd -24th November 2019
- ReadiMUN, University of Reading, 6th-8th December 2019
- WoMUN, London, 24th-25th January 2020
- KentMUN, University of Kent, 23rd-25th January 2020
- CardiffMUN, University of Cardiff, 31st January-2nd February 2020
- LSEMUN, London Security Exercise, London School of Economics, 31st January-2nd February 2020
- YorkMUN, University of York, 7th-9th February 2020
- SWMUN, University of Bath and Exeter, 14th-16th February 2020
- LIMUN, London, 21st-23rd February 2020
- SussexMUN, University of Sussex, 20th-22nd March 2020
- HamMUN, Hamburg, Germany, 30th November - 2nd December 2019
- KULMUN, Leuven, Belgium, 5th-9th March 2020
- BerlinMUN, Berlin, Germany, TBC
- Watch this space
RUMUN is rapidly developing a reputation as one of the best MUN societies in Britain and this year we hope to expand the society's international reputation by sending delegations to an increasingly wide number of MUN conferences. In addition to this, the society itself has also hosted six hugely successful conferences at the University of Reading which have drawn students from across the world. This year’s conference will be 6th-8th December 2019. More information is available on our conference website at http://www.readimun.org/. or apply at https://mymun.com/muns/readimun-2019/
RUMUN has also had an impact outside of the MUN world and has been instrumental in the creation of the Part 2 Politics & International Relations 'Model UN' Module, which facilitates the attendance of an eighteen-strong delegation to KULMUN (Leuven, Belgium) for a significantly reduced price. Although the module is offered by the Politics and International Relations department, the module is open to students from all disciplines.
In-keeping with our outward-looking nature, RUMUN welcomess students from all departments and aims to promote an interest in topics that the UN champions such as international law, peace and security, human rights, environmental protection, and so on.
The nature of MUN also means that our members quickly gain important research skills as well as experience with negotiating, conflict-resolution, and document writing. Furthermore, the fact that MUN is an international phenomenon means that your MUN career is also likely to take you across the country and beyond!
RUMUN is always open to new members, just come along to any of our weekly sessions (Mondays at 7-9pm in Palmer Building 106) during the Autumn and Spring Terms. You can keep up-to-date with our upcoming activities by liking our Facebook page and following us on Twitter. Alternatively, you can contact the committee directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Awards and Accolades:
- RUSU Gold Standard Society 2011/2012
- 5 Star Society 2012/2013, 2013/2014 and 2014/2015
- 3rd place in the 'Rewards and Recognition' scheme 2013/2014
- 'Best Society Event' 2014/2015 for the ReadiMUN14 conference
- 1st place in the 'Rewards and Recognition' scheme 2014/2015